Medical and Veterinary Sciences Tripos Part IB
Natural Sciences Tripos Part IB
SECTION 1: Books recommended for purchase
Kumar, V., Abbas, A.K.., Aster J.C. (2013) Robbins Basic Pathology 9th edition . Elsevier Life Sciences. (particularly useful for medical students).
ISBN: 9781437717815 Hardback £64.99
Parham, P. (latest edition). The Immune System. Garland Publishing, Incorporated. (The clinical references in this text may be of particular value to medical students) ISBN: 0815345275. Paperback £45.81
Mims, C.A., Nash, A., Stephen, J. (2001) Mims’ Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease. 5th edition. Academic Press.
ISBN: 9780124982659 (Paperback) Paperback £46.99
Harper, D. (2012). Viruses: Biology, Applications and Control. Garland Science. ISBN: 9780815341505 Paperback £46.00
SECTION 2: Books recommended for purchase by College Libraries (in addition to the titles in Section 1)
These are all useful texts that are worth referring to, sometimes just for a single chapter or section, in support of the lectures.
1. Kuby J., Kindt T.J., Osborne B.A., Goldsby R.A. (2006). Kuby Immunology. 6th edition. W.H. Freeman & Co.
ISBN: 9780716767640 Paperback £47.99
2. Lodish, H., and others (2012) Molecular Cell Biology , 7th edition. W.H. Freeman & Co.
ISBN: 9781464109812 Hardback £59.99
also available online.
3. Alberts, B., Johnson, A., Lewis, J. et al., (2008) Molecular Biology of the Cell. 6th edition, Garland, New York. Includes Chapter 24 (an introduction to immunology) and Chapter 20 (cancer cell biology).
ISBN: 9780815341062 Paperback £63.00
4. Young, B. and others (2006) Wheater’s Functional Histology. 5th edition. Elsevier Health Sciences, London. The histology of normal tissue concisely explained and beautifully illustrated.
ISBN:9780443068508 Paperback £49.99
5. Young, B., Stewart, W., O’Dowd, G. (2011) Wheater’s Basic Pathology. 5th edition., Churchill Livingstone, Elsevier. London. Well illustrated. Useful for revision.
ISBN: 9780443067976 Paperback £44.99
6. Kumar, V., Abbas, A.K., Fausto, N. (2010) Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease. 8th edition.
ISBN: 9781416031215 Elsevier Health Sciences. Hardback £83.99
also available online.
7. Cann, A.J. (2011) Principles of Molecular Virology. 5th edition. Elsevier Science Publishing Co. Inc Academic Press. Useful introduction to virology.
ISBN: 9780123849397 Paperback & CD-ROM £42.00
8. Murphy, KM and others (2011) Janeway’s Immunobiology: The Immune System in Health and Disease 8th edition. Taylor & Francis Inc
ISBN: 9780815342434 Paperback £50.00
9. Lakhani, S.R., Dilly, S.A., Finlayson, C.J. (2009) Basic Pathology: An Introduction to the Mechanisms of Disease. 4th edition. Hodder Education
ISBN: 9780340950036 Paperback £29.99
10. Salyers, A.A., Whitt, D.D. (2011) Bacterial Pathogenesis. A Molecular Approach. 3rd edition
ISBN: 9781555814182 Paperback £37.50
11. Sack, G.H. Jr. (1998) Medical Genetics. CD Rom edition, McGraw Hill.
ISBN: 9780070579989 Out of Print Paperback £30.06 + CD
12. Engleberg, N.C. et al. (2012) Schaechter’s Mechanisms of Microbial Disease. 5th edition, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. Addresses all infectious agents, bacteria, viruses, parasites and fungi. Introduction covers host defences. Probably also useful for clinical studies.
ISBN: 9781451100051 Paperback £47.00
13. Goering RV and others eds. (2012) Mims’ Medical Microbiology. 5th revised edition. Elsevier Health Sciences. Covers all infectious agents, host defences. Probably also useful for clinical studies.
ISBN: 9780723436010 Paperback £51.99
14. Collier, L., Oxford, J. (2011) Human Virology 4rd revised edition, Oxford University Press
ISBN: 9780199570881 Paperback £36.99
15. Lydyard, P. and others (2009) Case Studies in Infectious Disease. Taylor & Francis Inc.
ISBN 9780815341420 Paperback £36.00
16. Janeway’s Immunobiology (latest edition) by Kenneth Murphy. Garland Science.
ISBN 0815345305 Paperback. 868 pages.